Hey beauties, welcome to my blog. How are you today?
So today, let’s talk about the best sunscreens for your skin since it should be the most essential part of everyone’s beauty regimen.
Especially as Asians, we need to be very cautious protecting our skin from sun damage which causes premature aging and other skin problems like photoaging, sunburns, wrinkling, age spots, and skin cancer.
As we know Asian climate is tropical and warm with an average yearly temperature ranging between 28 °C to nearly 31 °C.
Ultraviolet (UV) light, is not visible to the human eye but has the most effect side-effects on the skin. The UV light is in three types, depending on its wavelength.
1.Ultraviolet A (UVA) 2. Ultraviolet B (UVB) 3. Ultraviolet C (UVC)
All three types of UV rays damage the body DNA which can ultimately lead to cancer.
These rays are more intense between 10 am and 3 pm, in the summer and they can pass through light clouds, fog, and about 1 foot of clear water.
What exactly is sunscreen?
Sunscreen is the barrier that protects the skin from the sun’s UVA and UVB rays.
What type of SPF do you need?
SPF stands for sun protection factor, a measure of how well a sunscreen protects against UVB rays, UVA protection is not rated still. Product manufacturers calculate SPF based on how long it takes to sunburn the skin after treated with the sunscreen comparing to the skin with no sunscreen.
The recommended sunscreen is, with an SPF of at least 30. SPF 30and SPF50 only has a small increase in UV protection.
You need to apply the sunscreen thick enough.
What does water-resistant sunscreen do?
The term water-resistant means how long that the SPF is maintained for up to, in water. Very water-resistant means the SPF is maintained for 80-120 minutes in water. Therefore you need to re-apply sunscreen every two hours.
What do I need to know about sunscreen ingredients?
There are two types of sunscreens,
- Chemical sunscreens- These absorb UV rays and convert it to a small amount of heat that include cinnamates, salicylates, and benzophenones. These are a bit think, but give less white cast
- Mineral/ Physical sunscreens- These are supposed to reflect and scatter rays. Mostly contain titanium dioxide and zinc oxide. These are less irritating and could be thin. But leaves a white cast.
Should I use a spray sunscreen or a lotion?
- Creams – If you have got dry skin, use a creamy or milky sunscreen.
- Lotions – Lotions are good for your body. Since lotions have a thinner formula it is lightweight to be used in summer days.
- Gel – Gels are best for hairy areas, like scalp or chest. Preferable for men.
- Stick – Sticks are so good on your face and around eyes. I personally love sticks since they are so convenient.
- Sprays – Sprays are super easy too, on the body and especially for children. But you have to be more careful when applying on face.
What else do I need to know about sunscreen?
- Apply generous amounts of sunscreen to dry skin 15 or 20 minutes before the sun exposure.
- Don’t forget to use sunscreen on all skin surfaces that will be exposed to the sun, on your neck, legs, ears, and lips. Apply a lip balm with an SPF of 20 at least alone or before lipstick.
- As we know now, since UV light passes through clouds, you need to use sunscreen even when it’s not sunny.
- Don’t forget to check the expiration date of your sunscreen and know when to buy a new one.
- Don’t use sunscreen on babies less than 06 months of age.
Okay, beauties! Let’s get into the most important part now, the best sunscreen suggestions.
1. Neutrogena Sheer Zinc Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50
2. CeraVe Invisible Zinc Face Lotion SPF 50
3. MDSolarSciences Mineral Moisture Defense SPF 50
4. Bull Frog Water Sport SPF 50
5. Sun Bum Moisturizing Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50+
6. Supergoop Everyday Sunscreen SPF 50
7. Banana Boat SunComfort Sunscreen SPF 50+ Lotion and Spray
8. Neutrogena CoolDry Sport Sunscreen Lotion SPF 50
9. Australian Gold X-treme Sport Spray Gel Sunscreen SPF 50
10. Kiehl’s Activated Sun Protector Sunscreen SPF 30
Now that you know how to grab the best sunscreen for you.
Enjoy your summer, and don’t forget to reach out if you have got any question.
Stay beautiful beauties!